Skip to main content


Stay independent for longer with the answers to all the questions you may have. If you can find the answer you're looking for, let us know. Our friendly LiveUp team are here to provide all the information and support you need.

Need some help? Call us free today on 1800 951 971

Assistive products

Assistive technology (AT) are products, programs, or systems that help you stay independent for longer. Designed to make everyday tasks easier, it helps you maintain your quality of life and keep doing the things you love!

AT includes simple things, like laundry trolleys and tap turners and more complex things, like wheelchairs or software.

You can find low-risk assistive products online and in mainstream shops.

Take our free healthy ageing quiz for personalised assistive product suggestions. You'll get helpful suggestions for each area of the home and links to where you can buy them.

To find out if assistive technology can help you around the home, read the Making Choices, Finding Solutions booklet. You’ll find a section for each area of the home with helpful questions to consider. These questions will help you understand whether AT can help you.

If you have certain activities you’d like help with, use the Everyday Activities checklist on page 10. Tick the tasks you’d like to make easier. Then, head to the corresponding section to find out which products can help you and how. You’ll also find product suggestions and where to buy them.

Start with your local shopping centre if you're looking for assistive products.

Finding the best assistive product can be challenging for those with more complex needs. To find the right product, consider your needs, where you live, work, and play, and your personal goals. 

Here are some people you can turn to for advice on assistive products:

Health professionals

Occupational therapists, physiotherapists, and speech pathologists can help you choose assistive products.

Specialist centres

Look for organisations that offer information on specific problems, like hearing. These centres can provide you with advice on specific assistive products.

Advisory centres

Advisory centres used to be Independent Living Centres. These organisations provide independent advice on assistive products. Their staff are assistive product experts and provide advice in person, online, or over the phone.

Local community health networks

You can look for a community health network in your local government area. A community health network is made up of community health services, primary health care, and aged care assessment services.

To find out how assistive technology can help you around the home, read the Making Choices, Finding Solutions booklet.

For personalised assistive product suggestions, take our free healthy ageing quiz.

There are funding options that could help you access assistive products. It’s important to know that this funding is specific to your individual situation. Sometimes there may not be any formal options for you.

Some organisations that may provide financial help for assistive products include:

My Aged Care. Assistive products can be provided through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or as part of a Home Care Package. This is dependent on your needs.

Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA). The Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP) can provide products to help improve your quality of life if you hold a DVA card. For more information, speak to a health professional.

Assistive Technology Programs. States and territories provide a large range of assistive product programs. Each state and territory has a government program.

Medicare. See your GP for guidance, as you may be eligible for a referral or disability service.

Private health insurance. There may be rebates available for health aids and appliances, depending on your provider.

Allied health professionals

Allied health professionals are practitioners who have studied and trained at university. They are health experts who can help prevent, diagnose, and treat various conditions and illnesses.

Your doctor or case manager can help you decide if an allied health service is right for you. Some of the most common allied health professionals include:  

  • Occupational therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Speech pathologist
  • Exercise Physiologist
  • Dietician 
  • Chiropractor 
  • Pharmacist 
  • Psychologist
  • Osteopath 
  • Podiatrist

Allied health services are available in your community. You can find them in many places, including:

  • Aged and community care organisations
  • Aged-care facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Community health centres
  • Medical clinics
  • Private practices

Government programs or other sources of funding may support access to these services. It’s a good idea to speak with your doctor about your healthcare needs. They may be able to suggest an allied health professional who could help you.

Most allied health practitioners are registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.

Occupational therapists help improve your physical health so you can do more of the activities you enjoy. These include:

  • Everyday activities like showering, dressing, and preparing food
  • Productive activities like education, work, volunteering, and caring for others
  • Social activities like being part of a community group, doing a hobby, and being part of a friendship group

They can suggest solutions to support your independence and prescribe assistive products. 

Visit the following websites to find an occupational therapist in your area:

You could also ask your GP or local medical centre for advice.

Physiotherapists are experts in the structure and movement of the human body. They support people of all ages and treat a broad range of health conditions. Physiotherapists can help you:

  • Recover from injury
  • Manage health conditions 
  • Improve physical function and quality of life 
  • Choose assistive products to suit your needs

Visit the following websites to find a registered physiotherapist in your area:

You could also ask your GP or local medical centre for advice.


You may be eligible to receive government-subsidised home care through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or a Home Care Package. The services you receive will depend on your situation and needs. A variety of aged care services can help you live independently.

Services include food preparation, help with showering, dressing, mobility, and medication management. You can stay safe at home with services like cleaning, home maintenance and assistive product suggestions. Feel supported in the community with services like transport to appointments or activities, in-home social calls, and group activities.

My Aged Care will assess your eligibility for these services. To find out which program you are eligible for, you need to apply for an assessment. You can apply online or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. If you already receive services, please contact your provider. 

For more information, visit the My Aged Care website.

If you are a veteran, you may be eligible for support at home through the Veterans Home Care Program.

For more information visit the Department of Veterans’ Affairs website.

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) offers older people free, independent, and confidential information. They help you understand and exercise your aged care rights and seek aged care services. They can also help you find solutions to issues you may be experiencing with your aged care provider.

Call 1800 700 600 or visit the OPAN website for more information.

The Council on the Ageing (COTA) has individual federations for each state or territory. They provide useful information, resources, and programs to support older people. They can help you navigate the aged care system or improve your health and fitness.

Go to the COTA website for contact details of your state or territory.

My Aged Care can help you understand, access, and navigate the aged care system. They can also help you find out what aged care services may be available to you. You can access My Aged Care online, on the phone, or in person.

Call 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website for more information.

You can apply for aged care services through My Aged Care. It is important to know if you have already registered or if you’re new to My Aged Care.

To apply for aged care services, follow these steps:

  • Check your eligibility for services by calling the friendly contact centre or applying online
  • If your application is successful, you will be referred for an assessment. Assessments are done in person, in your home
  • After your assessment, you will find out if you’re eligible for services and, if so, which ones you're eligible for

You may be eligible for reassessment if you already receive aged care services, but your needs have changed. If your circumstances have changed since your last assessment:

  • Speak to your current provider to review your care plan
  • Your provider will review your care plan and see if there is anything more they can do to support you
  • Your provider will contact your My Aged Care assessor
  • Your assessor may amend your support plan or determine if a reassessment is required
For more information about applying for aged care services, visit the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422.

There are two ways you can connect with an aged care service provider after completing your My Aged Care assessment.

1. Your assessor can refer you.

With your consent, your assessor can send a referral on your behalf to a relevant service provider. This will let them know you're a new client seeking support. The provider will then contact you to organise their service.

2. You can refer yourself.

You can request that your assessor provide you with a referral code instead of a direct referral. You can then choose and contact an aged care service provider to organise your services. Your assessor can give you a referral code for each service you’re eligible for.

A referral code is your unique reference number for receiving services. This information will be in your home support plan. If you lose your code, you can log in to your My Aged Care Online Account to see it.

Getting in touch with or being referred to providers doesn't mean you have agreed to use their services. Before accepting their services, you can talk with them and ask questions about their fees and your contribution. It’s all about feeling comfortable first.


If you’re a carer, it’s important to look after your own health. Carer Gateway is an Australian government program providing free services and support for carers. They provide face-to-face, phone, and online services and support to help you in your caring role.

Their services include:

  • Peer support groups
  • Tailored support packages
  • Self-guided coaching 
  • Online skills courses 
  • Access to emergency respite

If you care for a family member or a friend with a disability, a medical condition, mental illness, or age-related frailty, Carer Gateway can help.

Visit the Carer Gateway website or call 1800 422 737.

Some states and territories offer extra support for carers. Visit the Services Australia website to learn more about the resources available.

If you’re a veteran or a war widow/widower, there are a range of aged care services available. Whether you need help at home, health care, counselling, or other types of support, there are different types of care available to suit you.

The Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) website has a range of resources to help veterans and their families learn more about the services available. 

DVA also provides services if you have a Veteran Gold or White Card. They include:

  • Veterans' Home Care (VHC) Program
  • Community Nursing Program
  • Products, equipment, and modifications through the Rehabilitation Appliance Program (RAP)
  • Medical and allied healthcare 
  • Travel for attending medical appointments and treatment

For more information on services you may be eligible for as a veteran or war widow/widower, call DVA on 1800 555 254 or visit their website.

Open Arms is a veterans and families counselling service that provides private and confidential counselling to anyone who has served in the Australian Defence Force. This includes their partners and families.  For more information, call the 24 hour hotline on 1800 011 046 or visit the Open Arms website.

If you need to reconnect or if you just want a chat, FriendLine can support anyone feeling lonely. You can call them 7 days a week on 1800 424 287 or visit the FriendLine website to chat with one of their trained volunteers online. All conversations with FriendLine are anonymous and confidential.

Feeling lonely or isolated for a long time or for no obvious reason could be a sign of depression. It's best to talk to your doctor, a counsellor, or good friends and family.

Beyond Blue also provides information and support to help everyone in Australia. Mental health information is available for men, women, older people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, First Nations people, and LGBTQIA+ people.

You can call their 24 hour hotline on 1300 22 4636 or visit the Beyond Blue website.

Lifeline provides 24-hour crisis counselling, support groups, and suicide prevention services. Call 13 11 14 to talk to someone, text 0477 13 11 14 (12pm to midnight AEST), or chat online on the Lifeline website. 

How to call Lifeline with an interpreter:

1. Call 131 450*

2. Say your language 

3. Say Lifeline 13 11 14

4. Wait for a connection

5. Speak to the Lifeline crisis supporter in your language.

*Local call charges apply. Additional charges may apply for mobile calls.

MensLine Australia is a professional phone and online counselling service offering support to Australian men. Call the 24-hour hotline on 1300 78 99 78 or chat online on the MensLine website.

Find out how to age your way

Take our easy OpenUp quiz to get personalised advice and see suggested products, services and support in your local area or online.

Let's go!